Home International Baccalaureate
International Baccalaureate Mission Statement:
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments, and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate, and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
Richland Northeast International Baccalaureate Mission Statement:
The International Baccalaureate Programme at Richland Northeast embraces the commitment to teach all students to think critically, to appreciate diversity, to serve others and be productive, and to be responsible citizens and lifelong learners in a global society.
The International Baccalaureate Organization:
The International Baccalaureate Organization, headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, has offered students worldwide a course of study fostering academic and personal growth since the 1960s. The IBO promotes global citizenship, inter-cultural awareness, and a focus on academic excellence while stressing the importance of synthesizing knowledge both in and out of the classroom.
The IBO administers three comprehensive programs for students from kindergarten through the senior year of high school. Each program recognizes the developmental needs of students and focuses on cultural awareness, inquiry, and service to others.
International Baccalaureate at Richland Northeast:
Richland Northeast is an authorized school for the IB Diploma Programme and a candidate school for the Middle Years Programme.
Middle Years Programme (MYP):
The Middle Years Programme seeks to meet the academic and developmental needs of students in grades six through ten. Richland Northeast will offer material for grades 9 and 10. The curriculum promotes responsible global citizenship and intercultural awareness whle developing critical thinking skills and providing interdisciplinary instruction
- All 9th and 10th graders are part of the MYP and will receive a comprehensive course study in eight subject areas (English, foreign language, technology, humanities, physical education, sciences, arts, and mathematics) through broad themes called Areas of Interaction.
- Students who complete challenging coursework, achieve good grades, and complete the Personal Project will be awarded the MYP Certificate.
- Students will have the opportunity to take challenging coursework in order to prepare to enter the Diploma Programme in grade 11.
As a candidate school for the Middle Years Programme, Richland Northeast High School would like to communicate the following policies which are aligned to the standards of the program:
Special Educational Needs Policy
Academic Honesty Policy
Diploma Programme (DP):
The Diploma Programme is one of the most well-respected pre-collegiate programs in the world and therefore awards students with both personal enrichment and international recognition of success.
- Qualified 11th and 12th grade students may choose to participate in the Diploma Programme, a challenging and rewarding program involving rigorous study, active involvement in the community, and scholarly development through questioning and research.
- Participants will:
- Take six IB level courses across the six groups of study
- Take the Theory of Knowledge Course
- Complete the Extended Essay
- Complete CAS (Creativity, Action, and Service)
- Students completing DP courses may earn college credit upon successful completion of assessment.
- Students who complete required course work, the Extended Essay, and CAS hours will be eligible to earn a International Baccalaureate Diploma.
Dr. Sonja Merriwether-Hawkins
803-699-2800 ext. 79633