Home Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Students arrive to school five different ways: 1) Chirpers, 2) bus riders, 3) car riders, 4) day care riders, or 5) walkers. Procedures for each of these modes of arrival are below. It is imperative that all parents and guardians follow these procedures in order to ensure the safety and security of all children.
First Few Days of School
For the first few days of school, many parents will want to walk their children into the school building. When you arrive, you will be greeted by school personnel or a parent volunteer and given a sticker. This will allow school personnel to recognize that you have been greeted and are walking your child to his or her class. Your child will receive a colored bracelet which will indicate how he or she will be going home that day. Transportation tends to change over the first week of school for many students. Please inform your teacher in writing of any changes in transportation. We will always err on the side of keeping the child at the school rather than sending him or her home on the bus, in a car, or on a day care van if there is any doubt. This keeps the child safe and in one place.
Chirpers is our early morning drop-off program. Faculty and staff who have supervisory duties in the morning are not required to be in the building until 7:30 a.m. However, many of our parents need to drop their children off between 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. Parents can bring their children in the building at 7:00 a.m. and leave them under the supervision of the Chirpers staff for a one time registration fee of $20 per student and a cost of $10.00 per week for 1 child, $15.00 per week for 2 children, and $20.00 per week for three or more children. Registration for this program will be available at the “Back to School Night,” August 19. Students are NOT allowed to be dropped-off before 7:00 a.m. for this program. Doing so may result in report to the school social worker or district resource officer
- Buses arrive in the front circle from 7:30 a.m. - 8:10 a.m. No other cars are allowed in-front circle of the school during this time (7:30 a.m. - 8:10 p.m.).
- Bus forms must be completed on all children riding the school bus (see our receptionist for these forms).
- Bus escort forms must be filled out on all kindergarten students (see our receptionist for these forms).
FACT: we unload close to 320 students safely out of cars each day
- Enter the first long driveway closest to Summit Parkway
- Follow the blue line and stop at the perpendicular blue lines.
- Staff members will be directing incoming (teachers, safety patrol, and Chirpers parents) and outgoing traffic (Chirpers parents) from 7:15am – 7:30am. Please pay attention to the STOP and SLOW signs.
- Students can begin getting out of cars no earlier than 7:30 a.m. Do not let students out of the car before school personnel are there to monitor and supervise student traffic.
- Dropping off students before 7:00 a.m. for Chirpers or 7:30 a.m. for car riders is a serious matter. Violations of this procedure may result in being contacted by the school social worker or a school resource officer.
- Please follow the directions of the school personnel or parent volunteers as you pull around the circle. We are here to make your drop-off both efficient and safe. We unload close to 320 students safely out of cars each morning.
- The car rider line closes at 8:10 a.m. Students will need to be brought to the front of the building and signed in by an adult after 8:10 a.m. The student is considered tardy at this point.
Day Care Riders
Day care riders are dropped off in the front of the school where the bus riders are dropped off. Once again, no cars are allowed in this area from 7:30 a.m. - 8:10 a.m.
Walkers may enter the building from the front of the building if they walk from a neighborhood off of Clemson Road and the car rider side of the building if they walk from Summit Pkwy. Please do not drive and drop off your child somewhere on campus and have them walk in the building. With the amount of traffic that we have, this is dangerous and may result in a report being made to the school social worker or school resource officer.
PLAN AHEAD!!!! Additional adults and siblings (high school students and middle school students) are NOT allowed in the school building from 2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. Students may not be signed out during this time. This is a district-wide procedure for elementary schools.
Students are dismissed at 2:50 p.m. each day. It is critical that students are allowed to travel within the school to their dismissal area without interruption. School personnel are responsible for children getting to their dismissal area and dismissed in an orderly manner. This cannot be done if adults are trying to change modes of transportation at the last minute and are in the building trying to pick up students.
FACT: we load close to 200 students in cars safely each day
- Follow the BLUE line and stop at perpendicular blue lines!
- Please have your child/children’s names displayed using the NSE card. This will make the car rider dismissal process more efficient and safer for your child.
- Do not get out of your car to pick up your child. Your child will be delivered to your car by school personnel.
- Students will not be dismissed to adults or siblings who walk up to the car rider area or cafeteria doors. You will have to get back in your car and pull through the car rider line. The purpose of this is so that school personnel can manage how students are going home and who is picking them up.
- Parents of students who have not been picked up by 3:20 will be charged $10.00 per day each day their child or children are not picked up by 3:20. The only exception is if the car rider line is still backed up at 3:20.
Bus and Day Care Riders
FACT: 250 students ride the bus every day at NSE
No additional cars will be allowed in the front circle from 2:40 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Buses and day care vans need to be able to get around the circle, pick up students safely, and drive out without incident.
FACT: we have approximately 100 students who walk to school each day
- Students are allowed to walk out of the front of the school if they walk to a neighborhood off of Clemson Road and out the back of the building if they walk to a neighborhood off of Summit Pkwy. Students are supervised until they reach the end of the NSE campus.
- Students will be checked off each day as they are released to walk home.
- If an adult or sibling will be meeting your child to walk them home, please send a note with your child to his or her teacher so that school personnel will know who to look for at the end of the day. The adult or sibling should have some sort of identification each day when they pick the child up. It is crucial that school personnel know who is picking your child up and that the person is authorized to pick him or her up.
- Since school personnel duties change periodically, parents should not assume that the person on duty will recognize them and release the child to them. Once again, we will err on the side of keeping your child at the school rather than releasing him or her to someone who is not on their pick up list. To add an adult to the pick-up list, please see our school registrar or attendance secretary.
PLAYERS (After School Care)
FACT: we have approximately 125 students who attend PLAYERS
- Hours: 2:50 – 6:00
- $35.00 non-refundable registration fee per child.
- Tuition is a flat weekly rate of $45.00 for one child, $85 for two children, and $125 for three or more.
ALWAYS follow the school and district procedures for arrival and dismissal of students.