Due to safety considerations NO child may be checked out during Protected Time from 2:15 to 2:45. Students needing to change transportation other than the transportation they regularly ride must have written permission from their parent. Administrator’s signature is required for ALL bus transportation changes. This note must have a daytime phone number listed and be brought to the main office during homeroom.
Bus students arrive at the front of the school and are greeted by North Springs Staff. They report to the cafeteria if they eat breakfast. Students that do not eat breakfast will report to assigned areas. Staff will be on duty to assist students to their assigned areas.
At the end of the day, students remain in their classroom/ hallway until their bus number is called. The buses load at the front of the school.
If your child(ren) is brought back by the bus, your child needs to be picked up by 4:00 in the front office. If your child is not picked up by 4:00, the child will be placed in the cafeteria with an adult and there will be a $10 late fee assessed per child per late pick up.
RULES OF CONDUCT FOR BUS STUDENTS
The bus schedule (time, place, etc.) is given at the opening of school and to new students at registration. Students needing to ride a bus other than the bus they regularly ride must have written permission from their parent and an administrator’s signature. This note must have a daytime phone number listed and be brought to the main office during homeroom. This allows us to verify the transportation change for that day. This service is based on bus space available. Students experiencing problems on a bus should contact an administrator for help. In order to make the buses as pleasant and as safe as possible, please follow these rules:
- Stay seated at all times.
- Keep arms and head inside the bus window.
- Outside of ordinary conversation, classroom conduct is to be observed.
- Absolute silence is required at all railroad crossings.
- The driver is in full control of the bus and the students. Riders must obey the driver.
- The driver will assign seats to promote order on the bus.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed on the bus.
- Stand away from the roadway while waiting for the bus.
- Wait for the driver's signal before crossing the road. Walk ten feet in front of the bus.
- Bus riders must be on time. The bus cannot wait for those who are tardy.
- School and bus rules apply to behavior while waiting for and leaving the bus.
- Students are responsible for any damage to bus equipment.
Bus students reported for inappropriate behavior on the bus or while waiting for or leaving the bus stop will be disciplined in the following manner:
First offense: Warning or up to five days suspension from the bus and/or parent conference.
Second offense: Warning, conference, or up to ten days suspension from the bus and/or parent conference.
Third offense: Up to fifteen days suspension from the bus.
Fourth offense: Student may be removed from the bus for the remainder of the semester or for the remainder of the year.
If you will be driving your child to school, you will find the following information helpful:
- Car riders enter the school at the first long driveway (closest to Summit Parkway intersection). Student drop-off begins at 7:30 a.m.
- For safety reasons, students may NOT be dropped off at the front of the school. There is no adult supervision until 7:30 a.m. If you need to drop off prior to 7:30 a.m., you will need to register for Chirpers.
- The speed limit in the driveway is 10 m.p.h. There are speed bumps along this driveway and a stop sign by the crossing area.
- You will pull around the loop to drop off your child. Please pull up as far as you can – all the way to the curve - before your child exits.
- For their safety, students must exit the car on the sidewalk side of the vehicle, since there is a second lane on the left to help with exiting traffic.
- Car riders report to the cafeteria if they eat breakfast. Students that do not eat breakfast will report to assigned areas. Staff will be on duty to assist students to their assigned areas.
- Be prepared to tell us how your child will be going home the first day so we can note this for the homeroom teacher.
If you wish to walk in with your child in the morning, please use the same driveway and pull all the way to the back to park. You will be able to use the second lane to exit. You will be asked to sign in when you enter the cafeteria. Please wear your VISITOR sticker while on campus at all times.
Our car rider line moves very quickly. Students wait in the cafeteria. When your car approaches the circle, the duty person will ask your child’s name and will call by radio for them to report to the “red line,” so they will be outside by the time you pull up to the sidewalk. Please do not gesture for your child to come to your car. The duty person will tell the children when it is time for them to board. Please remain in your car while in the line.
If your child(ren) has not been picked up by 3:20, your child will be in the cafeteria with an adult until picked up. There will be a $10 fee per child per late pick up.
For safety reasons, no one will be allowed to enter the cafeteria at the end of the day to pick up children.
If it is lightning and thundering, parents or guardians may come in to the cafeteria to pick up his/ her child(ren). Otherwise, normal car rider procedures will continue when the storm passes.
North Springs Walkers
- This mode of transportation is for students that live along Clemson Road and do not receive bus services.
- Parents may NOT park in the front of the school and wait for their children to be dismissed. This causes a dangerous situation for our students’ safety.
These students remain in their classrooms and are called to report to the front of the school at the far right door at 2:40. Roll is taken before the children are dismissed.
Please keep in mind that this is for walkers only. Students who ride in cars should go through the car rider line.
If you regularly meet your child at North Springs Walkers, but you are not there one day to do so, your child(ren) will be returned to car riders. If your child(ren) has not been picked up by 3:20, your child will be in the cafeteria with an adult until picked up. There will be a $10 fee per child per late pick up.
- Many children are walked to Summit Parkway in the afternoon.
- These children will be escorted to Summit Parkway by an Assistant Principal and/ or other staff members.
- Traffic is stopped and students are escorted across Summit Parkway by Richland 2 staff.
- Students may be picked up once he or she has exited through the back gate of North Springs.
- All kindergarten aged children must be picked up by their parent, guardian, or older sibling at the gate of the school.
- Due to safety concerns, no cars are allowed to park on Summit Centre Drive to pick-up Summit Walkers per Richland County Sheriff Department.
These students remain in their classrooms and are called to report to the auditorium at 2:40. Roll is taken before the children are escorted out.
If you regularly meet your child at Summit Walkers, but you are not there one day to do so, your child(ren) will be returned to car riders. If your child(ren) has not been picked up by 3:20, your child will be in the cafeteria with an adult until picked up. There will be a $10 fee per child per late pick up.
For the safety of the children, if it is lightning and thundering, students who are Summit Walkers will need to be picked up by a parent or guardian in the car rider line. Please have a plan in place for who will be responsible for pick up.