Substitute Teaching Procedures
Applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent and be 21 years of age or older.
Before you can be considered for a substitute teaching position, you must complete the online application. Please understand that by completing and submitting an online application packet does not guarantee employment.
An application is considered complete when the district has received the following:
- Online Application
- Three Professional References
- DHEC 1420 Form – See tuberculosis test information below.
Professional references that are received should correspond with the work history that is listed on your substitute application. One of the three professional references must be from your most recent employer.
- Personal References: Personal references will not be considered for substitute employment.
- No Prior Work Experience: If you do not have prior work experience you may send the forms to three of your former teachers or college professors.
- Self Employment or Employment with a Company No Longer in Business: Applicants are required to provide a letter explaining the situation and the nature of the business. You will be informed of any further information that is necessary.
- CERRA References: If you have current references (no older than 1 year) on file with the District or CERRA, please note that information on your substitute application in the references section.
NOTE: Applicants can check the status of their references by logging into their online application.
Once your employment application has been pre-approved, a Certificate of Evaluation for Tuberculosis DHEC 1420 form will be emailed to you. This form must be completed and signed by a licensed health care provider. No substitutions or altered forms will be accepted. Chest x-rays will not be accepted without the most recent 5TU-PPD-Tuberculin Skin Test results. Please contact your licensed health care provider, or your local county health department for an appointment. Applicants are responsible for the cost of the TB screening.
Orientation and Training
It is not necessary to contact the Substitute Supervisor to inquire on the status of you application. If you have been approved to substitute in Richland Two, you will be notified either by email or phone.
The following documents are required at the time of orientation/training:
- Driver's License
- Proof of authorization to work (social security card or birth certificate)
- Proof of highest level of education completed and/or professional certifications (ie. High school diploma, unofficial college transcript)
- DHEC 1420 Form
- Handbook Acknowledgement Form
- Substitute teachers who have not worked within the current school year will be removed from the active substitute teacher roster. It will then be necessary for you to reapply by completing a new online application prior to working again.
- All substitute teachers work on an as-needed basis during the school year (August -June).
- An applicant MAY NOT work as a substitute teacher until approved by the Substitute Supervisor.
- A complete criminal background check, including a National Sex Offender Registry check, will be conducted on each substitute teacher applicant.
- References will be verified.
- Richland School District Two uses E-Verify in order to determine an applicant’s eligibility to work in the United States.