Employee and School Board Choice
Employee Choice is an employee benefit that allows full-time Richland School District Two employees and School Board members to enroll their children into the school of their choosing.
- Employee and School Board Choice cannot be used for an approval into magnet programs or magnet centers. Employees must apply to magnets through the Choice online process.
- The Employee and School Board Choice Form must be completed yearly.
- Employees and school board members who cease working in Richland Two or participating on the board immediately lose eligibility for this enrollment benefit.
- Children of school board members may be enrolled in magnet centers and programs as long as the student meets all requirements of the specified program (grades, grade point average, etc.) The application process would be waived.
If an employee or School Board member uses this choice, the following conditions apply:
- The employee or school board member becomes solely responsible for providing transportation to the choice school that the student will attend.
- The student and parents are expected to cooperate fully with the school administration on issues pertaining to procedures, rules and regulations of the choice school.
- Students should not have excessive tardies or absences and the family must cooperate with the administration and staff in regards to academic, disciplinary, and procedural matters.
- The choice student can only be enrolled by the eligible, employed parent or legal guardian. No other family members may be enrolled based on this choice.
- Failure to comply with the above conditions can lead to the revocation of the Employee and School Board Choice approval.
Completion of the Appropriate Forms:
- Employees and school board members who reside in the district but want their child(ren) to attend a different school need to complete the Employee and School Board Choice Form each year.
- Employees who do not reside in the district but want their child(ren) to attend school in Richland Two must complete the Employee and School Board Choice form and obtain a written release from the school district in which the employee resides. This release may be obtained by calling/e-mailing the district registrar of the appropriate school district and having them fax the release to the attention of the District Registrar’s Office at 803.738.7378.
- In December/January, all employees will receive an email from the District Registrar’s Office informing them of Employee and School Board Member Choice. In order to avoid scheduling conflicts for the upcoming year at the middle and high school level, employees are encouraged to complete and return the appropriate forms to the District Registrar’s Office no later than the deadline specified in the email. Students may not begin school until their status has been confirmed by the District Registrar’s Office.
- Requests submitted after school begins may not be granted.
All employee and school board choice requests must be submitted prior to the school year beginning. Any employee or school board member requesting after the school year begins will only be considered, if extenuating circumstances exist. These requests will be subject to the review of the District Registrar's Office.
New employees hired after the start of the school year may submit a request, after the school year has begun and prior to the student being enrolled.
Employee Choice and Participation in Interscholastic Athletics and School Activities
The rules of the South Carolina High School League determine eligibility for interscholastic athletics and activities for middle and high school students. Parents and students should be aware of these rules before applying for Employee and School Board Choice. Many eligibility concerns are addressed in the athletics frequently asked questions.