Back to School
Check this page often for the information about the 2020-2021 school year.
Transitioning to the Next Phase
Richland Two is currently in Phase 1, which means all of our students are receiving instruction from their teachers virtually either through the R2eSchool or eLearning at their zoned/assigned school. Many parents are asking if the district knows when Phase 2 will begin. There is no set date but here is information on how the decision will be made to transition to the next phase.
The district's three phases for returning to school are based on the South Carolina AccelerateED recommendations and the S.C. DHEC assessment for overall disease levels for our community. Every Monday DHEC is publishing the Disease Activity by County assessment on the agency's website. Based on their calculations, DHEC rates disease activity as either high, medium or low. Schools will follow the Phase 1 model while the overall rating for Richland County remains at the high level. Schools will follow the Phase 2 model while the overall rating for Richland County remains at the medium level. In Phase 3, the overall rating for the county is low and schools can transition to more traditional operations.
District administrators check this report every Monday and the district's health coordinator maintains regular contact with S.C. DHEC to help us monitor the disease activity in our community. To help parents keep up with this information, we have a link on our Reopening Schools Website to the DHEC site. The transition between phases will not be immediate. Right now we anticipate giving schools and parents a two-week notice prior to transitioning from one phase to another.
We all have a part to play in getting to Phase 2 as quickly as possible: Wear a mask; Wash our hands often; Keep our distance from others when in public; Stay home if not feeling well; and Avoid large gatherings.
Student/Parent Handbook: Click on the thumbnail below to read the handbook.
eLearning Support for Parents
Parent eLearning Support Website
Back to School Blast video on eLearning
Starting on September 25, 2020 the district will begin serving curbside meals to Richland Two students on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The additional day of service is to provide meals to support students over the weekend. Meal distribution schools will remain the same as listed below. Bus routes to community sites will continue on Mondays and Wednesdays ONLY.
Phase One Meal Plan
As the result of the extension of the U.S. Department of Agriculture waivers allowing school district to serve free meals to students through Dec. 31, 2020, there is no charge for meals.
- Eight curbside meal service at schools on Monday (2 Breakfasts & 2 Lunches), Wednesday (2 Breakfasts & 2 Lunches) and Friday (3 Breakfasts & 3 Lunches).
- Bethel-Hanberry, Bridge Creek, Joseph Keels, North Springs, Polo Road and Rice Creek elementary schools
- Dent and Longleaf middle schools
- Four bus routes with 13 total stops servicing community sites on Monday (2 Breakfasts & 2 Lunches), Wednesday (3 Breakfasts & 3 Lunches).
- Inn Town Suites-Two Notch (11:30-11:50 a.m.)
- Polo Estates (11:30-11:50 a.m.)
- Spring Garden/Hunters Way Apartments (11:30-11:40 a.m.)
- Spears Creek Mobile Home Park (11:30-11:40 a.m.)
- Parklane Apartments (11:30-11:45 a.m.)
- Alpine Regency Mobile Home Park (12:05-12:25 p.m.)
- Chimneys at Brookfield (12:10-12:25 p.m.)
- Charleswood (at JCC) (12:15-12:25 p.m.)
- Freeway Mobile Home Park (12:15-12:35 p.m.)
- Springtree Apartments (12-12:15 p.m.)
- Beldon Spring Lake (12:30-12:40 p.m.)
- Greenbriar Apartments (12:30-12:40 p.m.)
- KRC Wildewood (12:35-12:45 p.m.)
Free and Reduced-Price Meal Applications
It’s very important that families who qualify for free and reduced price meals apply for this status as soon as possible. To find out more about the process please click here to read the parent letter that answers a lot of questions including who qualifies for free or reduced-price meals. The quickest and easiest way to submit an application for free or reduced-price meals is to use the online application. Click the link here to start the application.
As a reminder, families have to apply every year. That means students who attended schools in Richland Two in 2019-2020 and received free/reduced price meals MUST complete a new application for eligibility of extended benefits each school year. If you do not reapply, all meal prices will automatically change to full price.
If you do not have access to the online application form, you can submit a paper form. To turn in a paper application, you may
- FAX your completed application to 803-419-5839 OR
- RETURN your completed application to your child's school cafe manager OR
- MAIL your application to Richland School District Two Food & Nutrition Services, 124 Risdon Way, Columbia, SC 29223.
Community eLearning Child Care Options
We realize that some families will need child care during virtual learning days and afterschool. Please remember that Richland Two is not endorsing these centers or any particular child care provider. Parents should research and make the best decision based on their needs. Our goal is to inform parents about some of the child care offerings in our community.
Families can find a list of community eLearning child care providers and their full-day and afterschool services here.
School Supply Lists
For several years now, Richland Two has utilized a universal school supply list. Effective with the 2020-2021 school year, each elementary and middle school have developed a school-level universal supply list that contains the list of supplies needed at each grade level.
PLEASE NOTE: due to the variety of classes offered, there are no universal supply lists for high school students.
2020-2021 School Year Supply Lists
Richland Two's three-phase reopening plan
Based on extensive research and the guidelines provided by DHEC, AccelerateED, and our multiple surveys (click on the thumbnails below to review this data), the Richland District Two Reopening Schools task force has created a plan that uses a three phase approach for reopening our schools.